It’s been just over one month since my last post and so much has changed, the progress that has been achieved in such a short period of time is incredible. When I think about it, I really haven’t been at the shop that frequently. I’ve been pretty absent over the past two weeks, however it’s not necessarily the quantity of days that equates to the progress that has been made but rather the quantity of hours within those days that really pushes the car along.
I try my hardest to work up the energy, AKA drink more coffee, to head to the gym after work as well as the shop. It’s difficult. With the hours that I work and the amount that I drive now, working up the motivation to continue working after a 14 hour day has been a challenge. Reminding yourself of the benefits of hard work, keeping yourself on a schedule and pushing yourself harder every day helps.
First off I want to extend a huge thank you to all of my friends who have helped me along with the project. I’ve never done this before and it couldn’t have been accomplished without the knowledge and expertise that was offered to me by a handful of awesome people.
Mike and I killed more than our fair share of yummy worms that night. We’ve started keeping a stock of them at the shop. The both of us get enraged when we don’t get our fix.
Truth be told, I really don’t feel like writing that much today. I’m tired. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.
This makes me very, very happy.
I started wiring the car using a giant spreadsheet I put together which includes Miata wiring diagrams, a GT6 wiring diagram and a bunch of stuff I put together myself. I’m not lying, I stripped the end of every single wire on the ECU so I could measure what gauge it was to ensure I purchased the correct wire.
While I was at it, I labeled absolutely everything. Literally, everything. I know what wire corresponds with what pinout on the ECU and what that connects to on the engine, which relay it connects to and which ground junction the wires belong to. I spent a week at home watching TV shows while I printed out mass amount of labels for this.
I’ve been busy. Using Joe’s suggestion, I purchased all of my wire and wire accessories from Waytek wire in the States. Not only is it a cost effective option but all of the wire comes certified to SAE specifications. Never have I felt such flexible, well built wire. I highly recommend their stuff.
I also purchased a bunch of shrink tube from Waytek. I chose 3:1 shrink ratio tubing, double wall and with glue on the inside to ensure a waterproof seal. If I keep up what I’m doing, I should never have to worry about any electrical gremlins in this harness, it’s built to last.
The progress speaks for itself.
I was up for 24.5 hours that day.
Mike joined after work and took some photos while I plugged away at the wiring. We left at 4:00am on Saturday. I got there around 6:00pm on Friday after work.
I will be running a Mil-Spec multi-pin connector through the firewall so I don’t have the mess of wires as shown in the pictures, everything will be nicely organized.
I managed to finish one of the banks of wires connecting the ECU to the engine (wires A-Z) and I’m about half way done the second bank. I decided to retain the factory diagnosis port just in case I need to do some trouble shooting.
I test fitted Mike’s racing harnesses as well, I couldn’t be happier with the way things are shaping up. My measurements worked perfectly, not only do the seats clear the roll bar with little wiggle room but the harnesses also fit like a dream. I’m content with this.
Give me like two weeks to finish wiring. There’s a lot to do.
One Comment Add yours
Sometimes, it's hard to find motivation, but you know that it's all going to be worth it in the end. My husband spent 15 years working on his 1969 Chevy Camaro SS. I’ve heard nothing but loud hammering and welding as he worked the metal. It’s all worth it the minute I saw the smile on his face the first time he drove it.