It’s been just over one month since my last post and so much has changed, the progress that has been achieved in such a short period of time is incredible. When I think about it, I really haven’t been at the shop that frequently. I’ve been pretty absent over the past two weeks, however it’s not necessarily the quantity of days that equates to the progress that has been made but rather the quantity of hours within those days that really pushes the car along.

I try my hardest to work up the energy, AKA drink more coffee, to head to the gym after work as well as the shop. It’s difficult. With the hours that I work and the amount that I drive now, working up the motivation to continue working after a 14 hour day has been a challenge. Reminding yourself of the benefits of hard work, keeping yourself on a schedule and pushing yourself harder every day helps.

So where did we leave off? My fuel lines haven’t fallen out of the car yet and the engine is still holding its own weight. Picking projects to work on requires a lot of careful decision now. My goal with the car for the next little while is to cut back on expensive projects and focus on projects that are low cost and take a lot of time to complete. As outlined in my previous post, I have continued working on the roll bar and I couldn’t be happier with the results.

First off I want to extend a huge thank you to all of my friends who have helped me along with the project. I’ve never done this before and it couldn’t have been accomplished without the knowledge and expertise that was offered to me by a handful of awesome people.

Special mentions to Joe at Stimtech for all of the knowledge, tacking the roll bar together and help with the design, Mitch at Unit2 Motorsports for the knowledge and bending my main hoop, Mike of Elpartso Cartel for the knowledge, helping with fitting, tacking and welding it all together for me.
Huge thank you to all of the support I have received for the build recently, you all keep me motivated to stay busy!


For anyone wanting to but either a custom cage or roll bar in your vehicle, I warn you in advance that it is just as much work as everyone says. Getting your angles right, your measurements spot on and ensuring minimal gaps on all of the tubes is extremely time consuming and difficult, especially if you’re a newbie like myself.
By the time material is measured, cut, sectioned and ground (god there’s a lot of grinding) I was on average about an hour and a half per notch. Whether or not this is anything to be proud of, I really don’t care. I have learned so much by taking my time, checking everything a million times over and fitting everything with patience.
Is my work perfect? Absolutely not. There is always room for improvement. Not only does improvement take knowledge but it also takes experience, something that I am seriously lacking. I’ll say it again though, staying focused, taking your time and doing your research will set you on the right path.

Mike and I killed more than our fair share of yummy worms that night. We’ve started keeping a stock of them at the shop. The both of us get enraged when we don’t get our fix.



Truth be told, I really don’t feel like writing that much today. I’m tired. I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking.








This makes me very, very happy.

In an effort to keep costs down, I’ve also started wiring the car. Now that all of the fabrication is done on the roll bar I can move on to the next project. I think I invested around 40 hours or so grinding metal, I really don’t want to look at any metal fabrication for the next little while.

I started wiring the car using a giant spreadsheet I put together which includes Miata wiring diagrams, a GT6 wiring diagram and a bunch of stuff I put together myself. I’m not lying, I stripped the end of every single wire on the ECU so I could measure what gauge it was to ensure I purchased the correct wire.

While I was at it, I labeled absolutely everything. Literally, everything. I know what wire corresponds with what pinout on the ECU and what that connects to on the engine, which relay it connects to and which ground junction the wires belong to. I spent a week at home watching TV shows while I printed out mass amount of labels for this.


I’ve been busy. Using Joe’s suggestion, I purchased all of my wire and wire accessories from Waytek wire in the States. Not only is it a cost effective option but all of the wire comes certified to SAE specifications. Never have I felt such flexible, well built wire. I highly recommend their stuff.

I also purchased a bunch of shrink tube from Waytek. I chose 3:1 shrink ratio tubing, double wall and with glue on the inside to ensure a waterproof seal. If I keep up what I’m doing, I should never have to worry about any electrical gremlins in this harness, it’s built to last.

The progress speaks for itself.

I was up for 24.5 hours that day.

Mike joined after work and took some photos while I plugged away at the wiring. We left at 4:00am on Saturday. I got there around 6:00pm on Friday after work.


I will be running a Mil-Spec multi-pin connector through the firewall so I don’t have the mess of wires as shown in the pictures, everything will be nicely organized.


I managed to finish one of the banks of wires connecting the ECU to the engine (wires A-Z) and I’m about half way done the second bank. I decided to retain the factory diagnosis port just in case I need to do some trouble shooting.


I test fitted Mike’s racing harnesses as well, I couldn’t be happier with the way things are shaping up. My measurements worked perfectly, not only do the seats clear the roll bar with little wiggle room but the harnesses also fit like a dream. I’m content with this.

Give me like two weeks to finish wiring. There’s a lot to do.

– Sean

One Comment Add yours

  1. Sometimes, it's hard to find motivation, but you know that it's all going to be worth it in the end. My husband spent 15 years working on his 1969 Chevy Camaro SS. I’ve heard nothing but loud hammering and welding as he worked the metal. It’s all worth it the minute I saw the smile on his face the first time he drove it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s