Rehabilitated Carburation

Projects, projects, projects… Between the GT6, the GT-Four, the CB360T and trying to keep the Lancer in half decent repair, I find myself struggling to stay afloat. This seemingly unmanageable workload becomes consuming as you have several dormant vehicles you’re not enjoying, all collecting dust at an alarming rate. As discussed in earlier posts, scheduling has proven to be a very powerful tool to progress these projects along, however I’ve started to look at these projects from a different perspective.

As opposed to tackling small projects here and there on any one of the vehicles, I have decided to take a page from the project management books and tackle an entire vehicle at once before moving onto another. Thankfully, this methodology has been met with great success as the CB360T is now near road worthy. So, what’s all been going on?

After many months (years?) of waiting, my carburetors were finally stripped free from their primordial varnish and were ready for assembly. I spent an evening with the fine gentleman Ray, whom I originally purchased the bike from, to completely rebuild the carbs using new brass. For anyone reading, it’s significantly easier to do a rebuild job than I originally thought – all it takes is a little patience, some good company and a couple alcoholic beverages. The assemblies went back together like butter with the help of a couple squirts of oil and before we knew it the carbs were ready to be bench synchronized.

I brought the carbs back home with me and starting setting them up for re-installation. The butterfly flaps were adjusted to ensure they remain completely horizontal under full throttle, the pilot jets were adjusted to allow the bike to idle upon installation and the carbs were mechanically synchronized using feeler gauges to ensure both cylinders will fire in a comparable fashion. Best part about all of this? Everything could be accomplished with a screwdriver and a paperclip. Learning how the different circuits and controls work in harmony with one another has been a humbling experience, it is amazing to see the incredible engineering feats that were accomplished before computers, CAD and modern manufacturing were introduced into the world.

In unison with the carburetors wrapping up, the upholstery on my seat was finally finished off by an extremely talented individual. I really cannot say enough good things about Devin at Uneek Upholstery, not only is he a cool dude to shoot the breeze with but his work is second to none. Devin took the exact concept that we discussed many months ago for my seat and turned it into reality. I couldn’t be happier, the work speaks for itself.

A shout out also goes out to Common Motor in Texas who has supplied me with a wealth of parts and knowledge which have made it possible to be where I am with the project today. All of the parts that have been sitting in boxes for months have since been slapped onto the bike, including a new top triple clamp and mini gauges from Cognito Moto. Their simple and lightweight design really compliments the CB360T’s design traits, turning it into an even more beautiful machine. To add another kick of aggression and fun, Woodcraft clip-ons were installed to give the bike the Cafe appeal and a sporty riding stance. I’ve already dumped several hours getting all of the motorcycles controls tailored to my body and seating position, which has resulted in a really comfortable setup.

The result of all of this hard work? I now have a running and driving motorcycle! After the initial startup and shakedown was concluded, my dad and I strapped the bike up and moved it over to Loose Screws where it will be displayed when not in use. It couldn’t be a better addition to the lounge. Since its relocation, the bike has received instrument lowering spacers (not pictured) and has been fully tuned – it’s running like a top now. I originally had a misfire on the left cylinder which was thankfully solved with replacement of the intake boots. These finicky pieces of hard rubber are prone to cracking and leaking over the years which became apparent on my original set as soon as the rubber warmed up to operating temperature.

There are still some minor bits of fabrication to be completed on the bike, inclusive of re-welding the rear hoop and signal mounts. In addition, the rear fender still has to be mounted to the bike which houses the rear tail light assembly. I fully plan on crossing off these pieces of low hanging fruit over the winter, as well as completely refinishing the bike. Don’t worry, new tires that aren’t as crusty as the underside of a toilet lid will be mounted as well.

Come spring time, the bike will be used as a fair weather Friday commuter to and from work which will mark the first overall completion of a personal project. Being this close to the end is a surreal feeling, as I finally get to enjoy a vehicle that I’ve owned for so many years. Here’s to hoping there’s no more hurdles in the road before the bike becomes road legal!

Sean

One Comment Add yours

  1. Anonymous says:

    Hmmm! I know this bike all to well. Great job.

    Like

Leave a Reply to Anonymous Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s